ISLEWORTH
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ISLEWORTH

Bringing Locals Together

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Simon_Anderson

Simon_Anderson

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-06-21

"Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Empty
PostSubject: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 pm

esidents’ needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown
Comment

The quality of life of local residents must be put before the expansion of Heathrow, claims Mary Macleod, the Conservative parliamentary candidate for Brentford and Isleworth.

She has written to the new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, to strongly oppose the proposed third runway at Heathrow Airport.

She said: "Heathrow is past saturation point and I am totally opposed to night flights, mixed mode (end of runway alternation) and a third runway. The current cap on flight movement must be maintained.
advertisement

"Future expansion at Heathrow has huge implications on the quality of life for the local community, including issues with aircraft noise, traffic congestion and environmental pollution: She said the level of noise experienced by Hounslow residents on a daily basis was excessive, while at night the situation was worse, with noise levels exceeding those recommended by the World Health Organisation.

Noise levels also affect teaching in local schools, and children's educational development is being affected by exposure to aircraft noise. Existing measures on noise insulation are not sufficient.

She said: "Traffic congestion around the airport is already a major problem and an increase in capacity would result in an increase in demand that the local traffic infrastructure would be unable to cope with.

"A third runway at Heathrow will substantially increase carbon emissions in the long term. Surely this is directly contrary to the Government's rhetoric on climate change."
Back to top Go down
mrsoliver

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 10:42 am

Having lived in Isleworth all my life, I refuse to be told what my needs are by someone who is "considering" moving to Chiswick.

Heathrow aiport has been a fact of life here for decades - why buy a house under the flight path if you don't like the noise? It was hadly a secret. Heathrow and the associated airlines is a huge local employer.

And I believe that carbon emissions from the airline industry only represent a tiny proportion, compared to farm animals, for instance.
Back to top Go down
Graham

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: Re: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2007 2:55 pm

mrsoliver wrote:
Having lived in Isleworth all my life, I refuse to be told what my needs are by someone who is "considering" moving to Chiswick.

Heathrow aiport has been a fact of life here for decades - why buy a house under the flight path if you don't like the noise? It was hadly a secret. Heathrow and the associated airlines is a huge local employer.

And I believe that carbon emissions from the airline industry only represent a tiny proportion, compared to farm animals, for instance.

I think you will find that there are a lot of locals who are against the expansion of Heathrow and all Mrs Macleod and other politicians in the area are trying to do is make our lives better.

I agree if you don't want noise etc then don't buy a house under Heathrow flight path but what about all the council tenants what choice do they have.

Why should we residents have to keep suffering from major companies like Heathrow and Mogden "Thames" Sewage works??
Back to top Go down
mrsoliver

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Yes, council tenants have less choice in where they live, but that does not equate to no choice. I live in social housing, but choose to put up with being under the flight path and next to Mogden because I wanted to live close to my and my husbands families, in the town where we grew up, and in a place we feel safe.

I disagree that politicians want to make our lives better - they want to be elected, nothing more. I serioulsy doubt whether Mary Mcleod will be campaigning on behalf of the residents of Isleworth if she is not our local MP after the next election.
Back to top Go down
Simon_Anderson

Simon_Anderson

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-06-21

PostSubject: Re: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2007 3:56 pm

mrsoliver wrote:
Yes, council tenants have less choice in where they live, but that does not equate to no choice. I live in social housing, but choose to put up with being under the flight path and next to Mogden because I wanted to live close to my and my husbands families, in the town where we grew up, and in a place we feel safe.

" I totally understand what your saying but if things could be made to be better for us locals then surely its worth the fight?"

I disagree that politicians want to make our lives better - they want to be elected, nothing more. I serioulsy doubt whether Mary Mcleod will be campaigning on behalf of the residents of Isleworth if she is not our local MP after the next election.

"i agree and Disagree with you on this, there are certain politicians who just want our votes to be elected get where they want and let us down but there are good politicians aswell like in Isleworth we have Cllr Hibbs who works so hard for our Area as does Cllr and Deputy Mayoress Caroline Andrews.
They spend loads of there time walking arond the streets of Isleworth taking photos of things that need to be sorted out, Cllr Hibbs attends EVERY meeting possible more than any other Councillor.
As to Mary time will only tell, hopefully she will be a better MP if she wins then Ann Keen was/is.
As to her campaigning on behalf of residents if she looses i cant say but i believe she will but only time will tell"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown   "Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Put Residents needs first’ Tory candidate tells Brown
Page 1 of 1